Did you know that there are easy ways to recycle over the holidays? These tips can save you money and protect the environment.
• Save and reuse gift bags, ribbons, and bows.
• Are you one of those who send gifts? Make shredded paper from old newspapers and magazines, or reuse bubble wrap and Styrofoam pellets from last year to fill the boxes.
• Think twice when choosing wrapping paper. Standard paper must be recycled. Any glitter paper or aluminum foil should go to the trash (or reuse it).
• Are you giving away a new device? Make sure your old phone or tablet is properly recycled in e-waste recycling. Polk County residents can take their e-waste to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at the following address: 5 Environmental Loop S. in Winter Haven, on Fridays and Saturdays.
• What to do with so many cardboard boxes? Ordering online means you are going to accumulate a lot of cardboard. Make sure to tear up the clean, dry boxes and put them inside your recycling cart.
• Natural Christmas trees? Polk County customers can place the natural trees on their yard waste collection day. The trees will be
collected, composted and reused.
• Up to five additional garbage bags are allowed four times a year.